What type of Bipolar Disorder do you have?

Friday 13 April 2012

Opening Up About Bipolar.

Told you I'd blog soon! You didn't believe me did you? Don't blame you to be honest.. But here I am! Blogging! (Whoop!!)
Anyway.. I'm talking about opening up about Bipolar, or any mental health disorder, or even any disorder. As you may (or may not) know I follow the "Time to change" campaign. I've mentioned it before and the link for their website is in some of my blog entries and on my page (I think!). It's a campaign that encourages people to fight the taboo that surrounds mental health and talk about there experiences. But, as I'm sure you know, talking can be hard. Really hard.
Maybe talking comes easy for you? But for me anyway it's not. I'm not much of a talker about personal things - people I care about, my family, my past, etc. And being bipolar fits perfectly into my category of things not to talk about.
So at first I decided to tell no one, absolutely no one. But I'm also a terrible liar.. So unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your view) my best friend could tell there was something wrong and I couldn't lie to him. It took a long time, and a lot of patient prying and encouragement from him to finally find the words to tell him. But I did, despite being truly terrified of how he would react. (I'd like to say at this point that he is an amazing person and I knew I needn't have worried but I am a little paranoid and don't trust easily, which is the only reason I worried. Completey due to my own flaws and not, in any way, his fault.) Anyway, his reaction was far better than I ever could have imagined. He didn't really know that much about it but he was so, unbelievably willing to find out all about it and be there to support me through it all. He offered to come to doctors appointments with me and anything else I needed, he was a true friend, and still is. I'm not going to lie and say he's not left my side since, he has. He's let me down, and I've let him down. But we're human, and we're there for each other.
On the other end of the good/bad reaction scale you have a friend that I recently told of my disorder. We were on a school trip to Spain and the drama I'd hoped to leave behind in England had definitely not been left behind. Things took place on the first night that I need no go into. The second night the rooms got mixed up a bit as we changed hotels. So there was just 3 of us in the room rather that the 6 there had been in the room on the first night. I was having a hard time and was really tired from lack of sleep on the first night. It was already like 11pm and I was trying to get some sleep when this girl (my friend?) started talking to me, and not in a very nice tone. What she said was very long winded, very repetitive, rather harsh an rather rude, so I'll not repeat it. But the jist of what she said was that she had come to Spain to get away from all the shit and that it was unfair of me to be upset because I was making everyone else miserable and I was on holiday so I should enjoy myself. I'll admit that my first thought was to tell her to go away (not in those words!). But I decided getting annoyed wasn't worth it so I kept calm and tried to explain to her that I didn't want to be unhappy and I'd tried to be by myself a lot that day because I didn't want to make anyone else unhappy (in my head having a negative effect on other people is by far the worst part of being bipolar). But for some reason my carefully worded and calm explanation just seemed to annoy her more. Her next words, again, I will not repeat an nor will I tell you what she said to me. I will tell you though that I don't think I've ever been so angry, I honestly don't know how I stopped myself from getting up and hitting her. But I did, and instead I told her that she didn't understand. She told me she did understand. Her mum suffers from depression and it's sickening to watch attention seekers like me pretend like they do. I'd had enough by then, attention seeking is the last thing that I am. And fear that people would think that if I opened up about being bipolar is one of the main things that has stopped me from talking about it. So I told her about it, and regretted it straight away. She told me I was pathetic and left. She only slept in our room one night the whole holiday and that was only because she was forced to and she never said a word.
On a brighter note the other girl in the room, a girl in the year below who I'd seen around but never spoken to until the trip was unbelievably nice and supportive about the whole thing. She gave me a little time by myself then came out to talk to me. She knew exactly what to say and exactly when to keep quiet or point out the gnome on the mini golf course that we had to go and say hello to before breakfast the next morning.
So they were the worst and best reactions I've had. There's been some inbetween reactions too, and they're weird really. Not knowing whether people care or have forgotten or what. It's not hard, just weird not knowing if you can talk to them about it or whether they think you're crazy or what. I'd rather someone tell me they think I'm crazy rather than just trying  to avoid me or something.

That's all I've got to say really.. I'd like to heare your experiences though! How have your friends or family reacted? Or have you.no told them? Please share! Or tell me what you think or ask questions or anything!

Peace. :):

2 comments:

  1. Forgive me. I only read the last part of this and since I should be studying and not playing on the computer, I am going to respond on just what I read.

    You talked about sharing information (I'm assuming the fact the you have BPD) and their reactions.

    I also have BPD and I will say I always have a hard time with this. Some people take it really well and don't treat me any differently. Others, I see an immediate change in them down to their expression. It is hard.

    There is a lot of ignorance out their about this disorder and others like it. There are a lot of people that don't want to know or they just don't know how to begin.

    I think we have a responsibility to tell our story and begin educating but we have to be sensitive and careful too in that at times it is not going to be heard or recieved well. And if it is not heard or recieved well, our point is not going to be made.

    I wish I knew exactly how to approach this topic and in a constructive way. Right though, I don't. I am also still learning.

    Thank you for being open, sharing your thoughts, feelings and frustrations. I love the design on the back of your page. It is very calming and beautiful.

    God Bless,
    Laura ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to also encourage you. Where you are with just being diagnosed and getting use to all if it is very hard. I hated it. I have been diagnosed for 14 years now though and it is much better. You learn your cycles, what works for you and what doesn't, what your "triggers" are, who you can trust and who you can't. It is like you get to a plateau. You still have it and still deal with it but it is much more manageable. I say that in case you get to a point where you are miserable or feel like you can't take it anymore. It will pass. It always does. It's like living in the middle of a raging storm. When it finally calms, it can be kind of nice.
    I hope this is an encouragement and not an annoyance for me to say any of this.
    Sincerely,
    Laura ~

    ReplyDelete